Saturday, October 11, 2008

Yummy, good for you cinnamon rolls

Last Sunday, I made some wonderful 100% whole wheat cinnamon rolls. They turned out
wonderfully. I have always heard that whole wheat anything does not rise well. But they did great. I did undercook them a bit, I don't like a burnt roll. So next time I will cook them a little longer. But i love that they are half the calories than normal rolls. And it has fiber. My kids loved them. I'm definitely going to do more of this. Anyways, i want to share the recipe.

Whole Wheat Orange Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups warm water (110° - 115°F)
2 packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
6 tablespoons butter, melted
6 tablespoons honey
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons
wheat gluten
4 to 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
FILLING1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tablespoon orange peel, grated
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons flour

Directions: Preheat oven to 350°F.In large mixing bowl, combine yeast and warm water until dissolved. Blend in dry milk, butter, honey, egg and salt. Add 2 cups whole wheat flour plus wheat gluten to mixture. Beat with mixer on low speed until smooth.
Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make sticky dough. Knead 10 to 12 minutes with dough hook or by hand until smooth and elastic. (Avoid adding to much extra flour, the dough should be slightly sticky for a moist roll.)
Place in a warm greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and towel; let rise in a warm (80°F) place until double in size. Punch down dough; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
FILLING: Beat butter, honey, orange peel, cinnamon and flour until creamy. Roll dough into 18 x 15-inch rectangle. Spread the butter mixture to within ½ -inch of edges. Starting at the 18-inch side, roll dough tightly, jelly-roll fashion. Seal edge by pinching with fingertips. Slice into 1½ -inch pieces to make 15 rolls. Place in greased 13 x 9 –inch pan. Cover and let rise until double in size.
Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until done; cool 10 minutes. If desired, mix together ½ cup confectioner’s sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice; drizzle over rolls and serve.

Servings: Provides 15 rolls/servings
Calories/Serving: 260 calories/serving
Here is where i got the recipe. It has a lot of other great recipes.

5 comments:

S. said...

These sound so YUMMY! I'm totally gonna make them tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Alicia Atwater said...

yummy! I am going to give these a try.

I could die happy in Forks... said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds great! ;0)

The Willardson Family said...

Thanks for sharing the recipie. It sounds yummy! I'm going to try it. I made the recipie from the dining on a dime cookbook cinnamon rolls and they were really good too. See you Saturday. What time and where are we meeting?

Allison said...

Sounds great! I think I am going to try these too. Whole wheat is always a bonus for me!!